Contact Tracing scam
Added on 05 December 2020
Be warned! Scam contact tracers are about!
Genuine contact tracers may first send you a text to let you know that you will receive a call from NHS Scotland. Calls will be made from 0800 030 8012.
- Introduce themselves and state the reason for their call
- Address you by your name
- Ask for details of people you have come into contact with, in a relevant time period
- Inform you that you will receive further information by email with advice on isolation and the support available (if you don’t have access to email, they may ask for your home address so this information can be delivered to you by post)
They will NOT:
- Ask you for information other than your movements and the people you have been in contact with
- Ask for financial information such as bank or credit card details
- Ask for details of medical records
- Try to sell you anything or ask for any payments or donations
- Ask you to set up a PIN or download anything
- Ask for your social media details, passwords or PIN numbers
- Ask for remote access to your computer
- tAsk you to phone a premium rate number or visit a website other than NHS Scotland or the Scottish Government
Genuine contact tracers will give you the option to call the above national number to verify that the service is genuine.